The studio will be very warm! Women should wear shorts or thin cotton leggings and leotard, sports bra or halter-top. Men should wear shorts. You will need a sticky yoga mat, large towel and bottle of water (all may be rented or purchased at the studio) in class. If you wish to use our shower facilities please bring along your own toiletries and towel.
This is the most common misconception that prevents people from coming to a yoga class. Yoga is not about how flexible you are, but about strengthening your body and spine in all directions. All that matters is that you try the right way, go to your personal edge and you will get 100% benefits.
The room is intentionally heated to warm your muscles and allow you to work more deeply and safely into the postures. The heat also:
- Detoxifies the body through sweating which flushes toxins from the body.
- Protects muscles for deeper stretching.
- Thins the blood to clear circulatory system.
- Increases heart rate for a better cardiovascular workout.
- Promotes thixotropy, the softening of fascia and muscle tissue, into an optimal state for reorganization.
In the beginning you might find that the heat, combined with intense exercise, is too much for you. You can always sit through a pose if necessary during class, and then start again. Avoid leaving the room during class so you can become acclimated to the heat. You will get used to it quickly and soon will learn to love it. It will help your practice progress quickly.
You may need a few classes to acclimate to the hot room and several more classes before your body cooperates. We recommend that you take as many classes as possible during your introductory month to feel the benefits immediately. You can use the equation Frequency + Intensity = The Result (Thank you Emmy Cleaves!). With greater frequency of practice and dedication while practicing you will find a greater result. Ideally, you will practice Bikram Yoga 6 days out of 7. To see your body and mind transform right before your eyes, it is recommended to come at least 3 times per week.
- Reduce stress and promote relaxation
- Increase spinal flexibility and improve posture
- Lubricate joints
- Set skin aglow
- Increase blood circulation
- Strengthen heart
- Increase stamina and mental clarity
- Relieve chronic pain
- Bolster immune system
- Stretch and tone muscles
- Heal and prevent injuries
- Enhance physical performance
- Expand lung capacity and control breath
- Normalize blood pressure
- Create mental clarity
- Improve concentration skills